Directs and coordinates activites of production departments in processing materials and manufacturing products. Lead an operational team to deliver projects safely and to time, cost, quality and sustainability targets, meeting customer needs and expectations. Maximise financial performance of the Business Unit, achieving health, safety, environmental, quality, delivery and cost targets within budgeted commitment.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Ensure that all quality, cost and delivery requirements agreed with the customers are met.
- Day to day management of production facility and direct line management of Team Leaders/Supervision.
- Effective resource planning for project work scopes and machines where applicable.
- Process optimisation and continuous improvement of output and quality
- Accurate measurement of manufacturing performance for machines and workforce
- Delivery schedule definition and completion
- Allocation of people and resources where necessary and encourage team work
- Ensure that the DEL learning organisations philosophy is implemented throughout the production team
- Maintain skills matrix and training plans to meet the business needs
- Continuously improve quality and manufacturing costs in line with business objectives (Productivity, Value Based Pricing and Profitable New Business).
- Regularly report on cost reductions to the management team, initiating and driving productivity improvements by Capex for example
- Support the team in bidding for new work and develop new products and processes
- Support the Operations Manager in reporting to the board, setting budgets and forecasting
- Optimise utilisation of resource – operating adequate processes and procedures, to ensure material availability, efficient material handling and product flow and effective capacity planning of machines and manpower
- Implement production KPIs aligned with business objectives.
- Drive costs savings through efficient use of resources at your disposal.
- Provide support to the proposals team in ensuring that operational components of submissions are produced effectively and reflect the requirements of the project under consideration
- Identify and minimise all areas of waste executing continuous improvement activities to improve quality, productivity and stock-turns to reduce costs
- Maintain sound customer relationships on operational and supply issues where applicable
- Contribution to management team (budgets, strategy etc)
- Lead, develop and coach individuals to build high performing teams and create a pipeline of talent
- Experience of production management, gained within manufacturing environment
- Proven experience of supervising/managing engineering and manufacturing disciplines i.e. Welders, Platers
- Previous experience gained within a nuclear/project environment advantageous
- Experienced in lean manufacturing and continuous improvement methodology
- Previous experience of resource planning
- Risk assessment and working with HSE and a 5S culture
- Strong leadership and supervisory skills, with the ability to delegate, motivate and train people
- Results orientated
- Good team-working, communication, interpersonal and analytical skills
- Able to demonstrate manufacturing efficiency and capacity utilisation improvements
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Time served and/or degree/HNC in Engineering desirable
- Professional management qualification preferable